in Denver, CO
Sadly, many of us often don’t assign the same level of importance to a mental health checkup as we would a physical checkup. This is often due to negative connotations associated with visiting a mental health professional. However, your emotional well-being is just as important as your physical health. By identifying early signs of depression, anxiety, mood changes or uncomfortable thoughts or emotions, they can be treated effectively, and more serious consequences and events can usually be avoided.
Daily Apple Clinic
Daily Apple Clinic is located in Congress Park in Denver, Colorado. Paul Reynolds, FNP and Monica Schonteich, FNP and all of the skilled providers here are ready and able to care for your needs, educate you about your diagnosis and craft an individualized treatment plan. To explore the mental health services available at Daily Apple Clinic, call the office or schedule a consultation online today.
What is Mental Health?
According to MentalHealth.gov, mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. It is a complex part of your wellbeing that includes your thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and social interactions. It may seem to have little to do with your physical health on the surface, but the two impact each other in significant ways.
What are some signs that I need mental health care?
Many mental health conditions can affect you at any age; some are short-lived, some are intermittent, and others are lifelong. Dr. Stephanie Pituc, a licensed psychologist at North Memorial Health, recommends seeking mental health support if you experience the following common signs and symptoms:
Spontaneous change in appetite
Moods change often or not often enough
Physical signs of stress
Changes in behavior
Losing a sense of identity and purpose
Trouble with resilience and bouncing back
There are many other possible symptoms. Try to be mindful of your emotions, behaviors, and your overall function to help you notice changes as they occur. Daily Apple Clinic offers comprehensive mental health evaluations and can diagnose many of the most common mental illnesses. Please make an appointment for a consultation to see if we can help.
What are some common mental health conditions?
After making a diagnosis, Daily Apple Clinic works with you to manage your mental health condition. A few of the conditions they specialize in managing are:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder that typically appears in childhood and can manifest in adulthood. There are two general categories of ADHD symptoms: hyperactive and inattentive. Hyperactive symptoms include: trouble sitting still, talking or interrupting others, whereas inattentive symptoms may include problems with organization and daydreaming.
- Depression: Depression, or major depressive disorder, is a common yet serious mental illness. Patients with this diagnosis may experience ongoing low mood, low energy, loss of interest in usual passions, feelings of worthlessness, and even thoughts of suicide.
- Anxiety: Anxiety disorders go beyond the scope of day-to-day worries. Patients with an anxiety disorder often experience worries and fears that influence and control their decisions and behaviors. Symptoms and complications may include: irritability, muscle tension, fatigue, restlessness, and poor sleep.
How can I manage my mental health?
Managing your mental health is inherently challenging to handle on your own; however, professional help from Daily Apple Clinic can get you back to feeling like yourself and functioning at full capacity in order to realize your potential again. Usually, treatment for mental health conditions involves a tailored combination of:
- Lifestyle changes: Making changes to your daily and weekly routines by building consistent patterns that create a more purposeful focus, which can have a significant positive impact on your mental wellbeing. Your provider may suggest dietary changes, educational tools, sleep programming or stress relief strategies.
- Counseling: Psychological counseling can help you learn to recognize and change your patterns in thinking. Benefits may include: improved communication and interpersonal skills, greater self-acceptance, a new ability to change self-defeating behaviors, better expression and management of emotions, better stress management, improved problem-solving and conflict resolution skills, and a greater sense of self and purpose.
- Medication: There are a variety of medications available for mental health conditions, including antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, antipsychotics, and medication for ADHD management.
If you’re interested in a mental health evaluation, or assistance with the symptoms we have described here, please call Daily Apple Clinic or book an appointment online today.