Since any new physical symptom likely has a physical cause, you will probably want to rule out those causes, first. But, if your healthcare provider advises that your tests and exams are normal, you may want to assess your state of mind. We typically use an introspective technique in order to examine our thoughts and emotions, especially as reflected in our behaviors. Here are some tips that can help you assess and protect your mental health:
· If you are feeling down or upset, ask yourself: Why am I having this emotion (anger, anxiety, sadness)?
· Try to express your emotions in order to let people around you know how you are feeling. If family and friends are not helpful, find a professional to help you elicit those feelings.
· If you feel yourself becoming overwhelmed by a problem, try to change direction mentally and intentionally remember the good things in your life. A diary may help you to put down thoughts and emotions and let go of negative thoughts and feelings.
· Learn how to cope with emotional challenges and build resilience by creating social support around you. By accepting that life is in a constant state of change, you’ll be able to create and maintain a more positive view of yourself.
· Remember the Four Pillars of Health: De-stress, Diet, Movement and Sleep to keep your body and mind stable and healthy. Please check out our website to learn more about the four pillars if you haven’t already. There are some other very useful ideas there as well.
Hopefully, these techniques will help you achieve greater mind-body awareness and balance. We wish you all “mens sana in corpore sano”!
Be well and take good care.
American Academy of Family Physicians. (2019). Mind/body connection: how your emotions affect your health. Retrieved from: https://familydoctor.org/mindbody-connection-how-your-emotions-affect-your-health/
Lifeworks. (17 May, 2019). Physical health: Taking care of your body helps care for your mind. Retrieved from: https://www.lifeworks.com/blog/physical-health-taking-care-of-your-body-helps-care-for-your-mind/